Monday, May 09, 2005

Novus Ordo Folly - The Funeral Mass (part 2)

While the posting immediately following this one is pretty verbose and took a lot out of me, this one will be shorter and sweeter(?).

"Father Jim" married "B." and "J." (no side jokes please). I went to their wedding -- against my better judgment and my family's wishes. B. has been a protestant her whole life. J. has been "Catholic". At their wedding, I watched this "priest" feed the Eucharist to my protestant aunt and all of her protestant family.

(*cough*)

Not surprising in the post-conciliar world, I suppose.

There were, as you might imagine, several things at this Mass that were not surprising to me.
About the only thing that was surprising was why we were even having a funeral mass. I mean, if the priest is going to just come right out and declare that "Brother J. is in heaven with Jesus at this very moment," then I really have no idea why we're having a mass for him. I also don't understand why we should be praying for him. If anything, we should have turned the Mass into a service to pray for the intercession of Saint J.

I could perhaps thrill all of you readers with the tales of what happened at this "mass". I might start with the mundane happenings of the Preparation of the Gifts, whereby the priest prayed "Blessed are you Lord of all Creation. Because you're Good, you gave us wheat, which we have turned into bread. It will become for us the bread of life" and "Blessed are you Lord of all Creation. Because you're Good, you gave us the fruit of the vine which we have pressed to offer you. It will become for us our spiritual drink."

Yes, I could go on with that stuff were it not for the fact that so much wrong happened that I can't remember it all. Actually, that's maybe a blessing.

I mentioned (in part 1 of this series) that after protestant B. married "catholic" J., the couple stopped going to Mass --- really, who could blame them, considering that they weren't doing anything Catholic with Fr. Jim to begin with? --- and started attending Idlewild Presbyterian Church up until the day of J.'s death. This priest knows that B. and her whole family is protestant. But of course, Fr. Jim explained that this was a "special circumstance" and that he could permit them to receive the "Eucharist" at this "Mass". And so, of course, that's precisely what he did.

Pray for this priest, Father Jim, because he shall have much to answer for.

1 Comments:

At 12:37 PM, Blogger dcs said...

About the only thing that was surprising was why we were even having a funeral mass. I mean, if the priest is going to just come right out and declare that "Brother J. is in heaven with Jesus at this very moment," then I really have no idea why we're having a mass for him. I also don't understand why we should be praying for him.

The purpose of the funeral Mass, or, as it's now called, the Mass of Christian Burial, is to celebrate the life of the deceased. Really, it has become almost a festal event -- white vestments, the Alleluia, etc. The silliest thing I've ever seen or heard is a priest say -- at the funeral of a suicide -- "I believe with all my priestly heart that N. is in heaven."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home